Superintendent Update on COVID-19 Response

March 12, 2020

Dear Dolores School District RE-4A Community,

As you know, significant changes, cancellations, and restrictions are being implemented across the country and world as a result of COVID-19. Dolores School District RE-4A is no exception. This communication is being sent to share updates related to this important time for our community.

Part I—Learning Environment

Our school leaders are working collaboratively to develop e-learning and alternative learning plans in the event that we would need to close a school. This is to have a proactive plan. At this time, there is no plan to close a school or schools. There will be an Elementary Plan and a Secondary Plan as we know the needs are different across grade levels. If there is a closure, the principal for each school will communicate with the school’s community.

Part II—Travel
The following travel restrictions will be put into effect immediately for school-organized or sponsored student trips and staff professional learning.

Until further notice, we are restricting all international and out-of-state travel for students and staff for school-organized or school-sponsored student trips and staff professional learning.

I understand that this is disappointing news to the impacted students, staff, and families. However, these decisions are made out of an abundance of caution and safety for our students and community. Please know that we make these decisions based on the information we are receiving from the Colorado Department of Education, the Centers for Disease Control, the Montezuma County Health Department, and the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.

I also understand that numerous students and staff may have also booked private trips over spring break.
While the district has no authority to cancel these trips, personal travel by staff and students could result in a student or staff member being quarantined (by another agency) for up to 14 days upon return. We would also support the need for self-quarantine if travel goes beyond this region.

I will provide an update to the community once this travel restriction for school-organized or sponsored student trips and staff professional learning has been lifted.

Part III—Upcoming Events
We also learned today that, per the Colorado High School Activities Association (CHSAA), effective Friday, March 13th through April 6th, there will be NO team practices or games/events allowed. The CHSAA, along with multiple state agencies, will continue to evaluate the situation. Our athletic directors will provide updates to families and coaches as they receive new information.

All Middle School sports and activities will also be suspended starting, Friday, March 13 until further notice.

At this time, we will wait to make a decision on the sixth-grade trip to Moab. The trip is far enough in the future that we still have a window of time to decide.

We know there are several other events that are planned for the upcoming weeks. Please monitor our school’s website for any cancellations, postponements, and/or other decisions.

I will be sending follow-up communications as needed.

Thank you for your understanding.


Elisabeth A. Richard
Superintendent of Schools